Sunday, November 6, 2022

Stormbringer Redux # 16 - Why Stormbringer 1E and the Stormbringer Redux Endgame

Hello all,


Looks like I'm 3/4th of the way through the Stormbringer redux project. Time to reflect on what has come before, and what has yet to be done.




(Damn that is a sweet pic...)


Q1: One of my players has asked why I am set on using Stormbringer 1E, why not use a newer edition of the game, or even something like Barbarians of Lemuria?


A: He has a point. I suppose a large part is due to nostalgia, as it was my first RPG purchase, and the first official Moorcock game. However, there are some deeper reasons:

1 Stormbringer 1E does lots of things right, like the attempt to link attributes and skills; the variable armor; elementals & Lords of Higher Worlds. It is a good base to build on.

2 It is rules light, and has a nice blend of mechanics with story effects. Another good thing to try and emulate or expand on.

3 It is atmospheric as heck, both in terms of art and writing.

4 It is manageable, being of a much smaller page count than later games.

5 All the above mean that it is easily hackable


Q2: What is left to be done?

A: I want to redo the Encumbrance and Wealth + Social Class rules from a clunky mechanistic system I previously proposed to ones that lean into the story effects. Maybe find a way to reduce stat blocks for monsters to help GMs GM faster and more efficiently. Also possibly roll up and post PCs and demons to test my rules when I'm bored or exhausted. Post up play reports if I can resuscitate the game in the new year. Offer an alternate system for rolling nationality that is more fun, and finally update my Houserules document with what has been tested and approved.


Q: Anything else?

A: Hawkmoon Redux?!??!?!?!



To put it politely, the old Hawkmoon RPG was underwhelming, especially coming on the heels of Stormbringer. But it made me wonder one thing:

What if there was a system for Moorcockean steampunk pseudoscience to match that of Magic?

What makes ornithropters and flame lances work? Do Granbretan animal armors have special powers? What runs the sky ships of the Vadhagh?


I have the inkling of an idea for an alchemical system using the following elements:

Silver

Gold

Gems

Radiating Material

Maybe throw in the Virtues rules and the need for economic exploitation of the environment. The mind boggles.


Other than that, maybe reread All Flesh Must Be Eaten and review if it really was a good game or not. Then turn to some newer games on my shelves (Swords of the Serpentine) and write a review or materials.

No comments:

Post a Comment