Tuesday, January 30, 2024

I Should Have Listened To This Long Ago...

Finally caught the Grognard Files' first podcast on the Stormbringer RPG (HERE).


So much jibes with what I feel about the game. Especially Judge Blythy's insights on Stormbringer as a proto-story game.


"Modern games are about story. And I think Stormbringer is going in that direction. Whether it's intentional or not, I don't know. But what it forces you to do is consider: there's four people playing this game, one is very powerful... one is kind of ordinary, one is ... from Lormyr... a bit dim... and one of them is a beggar with one leg. Now go and play that game. But I think what it's trying to do is the story, isn't it? You could have a Melnibonean sorcerer with a beggar sidekick, and if you're the beggar sidekick, what it seems to be suggesting, and it doesn't say so overtly, but what it's nudging you in the direction of is 'Play the role, do the story. Just because you're the one legged beggar doesn't mean you're any less important than the sorcerer. It's not about power, and wealth, and going up the levles. It's about story."


Couldn't agree more! Can't wait to find time for part II.
 

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed those episodes. I hope they revisit Stormbringer periodically.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good grief, now I'll have to listen to it!

    ReplyDelete