Monday, July 20, 2026

NUNA Bestiary # 2 Haunted Rigs, Petrophantoms, & Leviathans

Up to now, I have gone into depth about the land of Nuna, its people and its monsters. Now I'd like to take a look at the sea, the Grand Banks where The Titanic lies sleeping and the Riggers build a new society on their platforms and ships.

Been reading Mike Mignola and felt inspired.


THE OFFSHORE

I had an uncle named Yugan who worked on oil ships and then oil rigs off of Newfoundland as the industry took off in the 1980's.

I used to love hearing his creepy stories of strange noises in the night, workers who went for a stroll on the deck and never came back, and a hundred other unsettling things.

This is probably why Riggers became a major component in NUNA. There are two main threats they face.


Petrophantoms

Before The Fall, Newfoundland was a petroculture, booming when the oil sold, busting out when it didn't. Oil is the residue of formerly living things, so what if it still carried some of their essence?

If you've seen Fish Night on LOVE, DEATH, & ROBOTS you get the vibe. I am working on my next scenario now and it is set on a deserted oil rig.

Should be fun!


Leviathans

On the other hand we have monsters from the Abyss, the Leviathans. Then came be huge monstrous things, or else misshapen weird creatures, neither dead nor alive. I remember as a child we would take the ferry from Goose Bay to Lewisporte, and later from Newfoundland to Nova Scotia, and looking into that dark mirror of sea you could imagine ANYTHING crawling out of it.

And so I have.


Get Into NUNA!

If you are intrigued, pick up the Nuna quickstart or free preview at the links below.


Free Preview

https://legacy.drivethrurpg.com/product/575125/NUNA-Rpg-Player-Characters-Free-Preview



Quickstart

https://legacy.drivethrurpg.com/product/575172/NUNA-Rpg-Quickstart



No comments:

Post a Comment