Sunday, August 2, 2026

NUNA Sales Report & 義理人情 (Giri-Ninjou) Concept

Happy to report that the NUNA Quickstart has made it halfway to the 50 sales needed for a Bronze medal on DriveThru RPG. If you haven't gotten a copy yet, the link to the Quickstart and free player characters preview (which has more than enough downloads for Bronze but is free so doesn't count) are below.

Player Characters Preview (FREE)

https://legacy.drivethrurpg.com/product/575125/NUNA-Rpg-Player-Characters-Free-Preview



60 page Quickstart ($1.99)

https://legacy.drivethrurpg.com/product/575172/NUNA-Rpg-Quickstart

As I've stated here, my next project is Giri-Ninjou, a radically different game from NUNA.

1794 woodblock print of a kabuki moneylender character,
which I am using in a non-RPG project and I put here for a thumbnail.


Giri means Duty while Ninjou means Humanity. From my 22 years living in Japan and becoming a published Japan Studies researcher there, I am always disappointed by the misrepresentation of Japan by outsiders. Films with Japanese characters always talk about 'honour', but this is largely an Orientalist trope and Japanese are more likely to base their actions on Giri and Ninjou.

Here is my concept for Giri-Ninjou:

Rules light

GMless

Narrative

Ruthlessly faithful to Japanese society & culture, NOT D&D in funny hats

On Kickstarter by year's end


No comments:

Post a Comment