Tuesday, September 3, 2013

30 Day Challenge 3 & 4

Day 3 - Favorite Class

This is a toughie, since I normally play an Elf, who are either multi-classed or are their own class. I guess in a pure-human campaign I've always gone for Ranger. Maybe it's my upbringing in the wastes of unknown Labrador, or maybe the coolness of Aragorn, but Rangers are eminently playable. Even when transported to an urban environment, they become like Frazer in 'Due South', an in tune survival expert who always pulls through on their inner strength. Quite the opposite of Thieves, who exploit others' weaknesses.

4 Favorite Gameworld

Has to be the Young Kingdoms of the Elric novels. I've played in the Realms, Eberron, and Mystara, but they've never seemed real to me. That said, an AD&D 2e game I played in Lankhmar felt right, so maybe I just find gameworlds stemming from fiction more appealing than those made for a game. Truth to tell, although I started playing with D&D, Stormbringer RPG was my first true love. I've never played, just GMed, and the emulation of the bleakness of the early novels hits me as just right. I'm almost tempted to do up a D&D retroclone in the YK based on the old Melnibonean Mythos from Deities & Demigods and the godawful d20 Dragonlords of Melnibone. Maybe send any profits to Mike to make up for the screwing he got from Chaosium & Mongoose.



No comments:

Post a Comment