Thursday, September 5, 2013

30 Day Challenge 5 & 6

Not sure if this challenge thing is improving my blogging muscles or taking time away from projects & life, but it is a nice bit o fluff so let's keep at it.

5 Favorite dice. Hmmm, I have to admit being not much of a dice aficionado, and lacking in dicing superstition. I have my old long tube of yellow dice with extra green d6s so you can roll attributes - they are functional and unlovely and therefore my go-to dice when gaming.

I have to admit I always liked the dice that came with Heroquest - the shield, skull, and tusked ones. Rounded edges with aesthetically pleasing B&W art. I feel lots could be done with dice like that, and although I have seen some nice geomorph dice, I don't think anyone's really capitalized on specialized dice for gaming - they're still just number generators, even the Zocci ones that seem to be the rage.




6 Favorite Deity. Once again, as a dude who games lamentably but few times a year, and often non-D&D games, I am neither that conversant nor interested in a setting's gods, as they are all-too-often handwaived and not as clearly DMed as they should be. Being a proud atheist and believer in the general suckiness of clerics, this tendency is reinforced in my life and gaming preferences. If I had to choose, I'd say Izrador from the Midnight campaign setting is the baddest ass of them all. Sure he is a knockoff of Sauron from LotR, but any god who locks out all the rest and turns the world into his own dumping grounds is cool in my book. The fact that killing his legates and defiling his temples and smashing his mirrors feels so GOOD is another mark in his favour. All around good example of how a god should contribute to the setting and character motivation.



1 comment:

  1. I don't think anyone's really capitalized on specialized dice for gaming - they're still just number generators

    The new Warhammer RPG (Third Edition, by FFG) uses some specialized dice like that.

    There was also the old Dragon Dice wargame.

    ReplyDelete