Saturday, October 26, 2024

On KS Postage & Pricing

Hello Nuna people, and thanks as always for your support!

I had intended to post some art and content about A Rosa Branca and the Grave of Leviathans (the what now?) but got sidetracked by real life, as single fathers about to move across country do.

I don't want to talk just about Kickstarter all the time and bore you, but I thought I'd give you my thoughts and experience on postage and pricing as it has been an interesting journey of discovery.

So I did massive amounts of reading from KS articles before the campaign about postage. The advice was all the same - nail down every detail, then overcharge to account for unforeseen costs or changes at the post office between the campaign and delivery of product.

Simple, right?

Except roleplaying games are a different beast. Looking through campaigns, some had no postage, some had limited to certain areas, others had high rates. The clock was ticking, so I made the decision to overcharge and make up with content or refunds at a later date. I put it up on my pre-launch and figured I could get some feedback.

Except I didn't. I got a lot of "Looks great!" before launch, then a wave of "Why did you do that? Wish I had told you earlier!" after launch.

Maybe people didn't want to offend me or were too busy / intrigued by concept and content to look at the nitty gritty details. But even though my decision was not the best one, I was thrilled that so many of you still backed the project.

So when I relaunch in 3-6 months with an actual book in my hands, postage won't be calculated until after the campaign succeeds.

Moving onto pricing, there was a similar phenomenon. The advice was get down all the nuts and bolts, then overprice to not be caught offguard by surprises. Refund excess or offer content to make up for it.

Again, simple on the surface but not the best option for an RPG. So my work now is to get the book written and playtested, then get actual figures for printers instead of vague estimates. This will help me keep the book cost down as much as possible. I don't want to break anyone's bank with NUNA, just be industry competitive and be able to pay off my team for their hardwork.

Thanks again, and look forward to more content & art next!

No comments:

Post a Comment