Saturday, March 22, 2014

Alto D&D Bloggorino – ‘Lunacie de Marz’ Day 21 and 22




21 What is the narrowest genre RPG you have ever played? How was it?

Wow, can’t believe I made such a tough question. I suppose Zombie Cinema is the narrowest genre. As others have noted, story games like ZC and Fiasco can walk the razor’s edge pretty fine.


I find genre questions hard because it is difficult to know whether you are playing the game’s genre or the story genre. For instance, D&D has gradually become its own genre apart from fantasy, while Call of Cthulhu gameplay is a different beast from the stories that inspired it.

22 What is the most gonzo kitchen sink RPG you ever played? How was it?

Has to be RIFTS. We played back in the day when it was still ‘Points of Light’ versus the ‘Bigger Faster Stronger’ of later splatbooks. I remember when the Japan sourcebook came out and had power armor with auto-dodge how people flipped at the lack of balance. Apparently it is par for the course nowadays.

If I could, I’d like to give Encounter Critical a spin. Seems like a great parody genre. Or maybe the Adventure Time 4e hack (hacked down again to OD&D) would be more my speed.


No comments:

Post a Comment