Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Re-creating Stormbringer RPG

It is no surprise that I love the Stormbringer RPG.

I read all of Moorcock's books I could find at an early age.

I collected the comics, Thomas & Russel's Elric, Mignola's Corum, and the varying others.




Stormbringer 3e in the green cover was my first non-D&D RPG. It was stolen out from under me. I had Elric! and that too disappeared.

(If you have an old copy of any edition and want to support me, drop me a DM. I'm willing to trade or pay a fair price).

Now, I am into story games and modern game design.

I think I will try my hand at re-creating Stormbringer using the insights I have gleaned from games like Swords of the Serpentime, Powered by the Apocalypse, and Alien. 

Where to Start?

My first instinct is to look at the skills list, but this is a misstep. Stormbringer isn't about skills, it is about the conflict between Law and Chaos, one that has reverberated through roleplaying since the beginning of the hobby. Each edition of Stormbringer had its own incomplete and poorly implemented take on allegience to these powers.

This is where I will start. If I can untangle the concepts and how they were implemented, maybe I can find the way in to this maze.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment