Monday, April 19, 2021

House Rule - No More Fumbles

So, people hate fumbles.



My original Stormbringer game fizzled because the heroes fumbled poorly when trying to burgle a fat apothecarist and his 2 guards. One character broke his greatsword, another shot an arrow into a comrade. Since then, I have used fumbles sparingly, and often ask players what they think should happen.

Today, I ran across this post on a Facebook page: 

"Any game (be it D&D/PF/WFRP/Runequest) ran by Joey:
Joey: This is a heroic campaign. You'll be mighty warriors of peerless skill and stuff of legends.
Also Joey: We're playing with my critical fumble house-rule meaning that every time your PC attacks and rolls a nat 1/below 5%/snake eyes they hit themselves or a nearby ally for full damage.
Folks, whatever you're doing, don't use fumbles. Failing hysterically at something you're supposed to be good at 5% of time just isn't heroic. If you want to use it, call the game slapstick comedy and not saga of legends."

How about instead of a BAD thing happening to the PCs, which detracts from heroism and imperils the shared story, we let a GOOD thing happen to the bad guys. Namely, for every fumble rolled, the opponents can turn one miss into a hit. Since PCs are usually well armed and armored, this heightens the tension and challenge without turning combat into comedy.

What about the reverse? Maybe give the PCs a free attack, or let them have some minor advantage they ask for (ie free retreat from combat, or time to grab an item, etc).

Anything is better than just fumbles.

1 comment:

  1. A bit late to the party (your blog wasn't showing up on my blog roll for some reason).

    I like this idea. I quit using crits and fumbles a long time ago (except for Star Wars d6 with the wild die), mainly for this reason. [Memories of an AD&D game where my +2 sword got downgraded to a +1 sword by the DM because I happened to roll two 1s during the session - not fun.]

    If I ever do implement them into my games again, I'd do it this way. Makes more sense. It's sort of what I did with Star Wars, too. If someone got a 1 on the Wild Die, we'd brainstorm ideas to make things more complicated but also more interesting, but without making the PCs look like chumps.

    ReplyDelete